Saturday, January 26, 2008

The style files continued

I collect boxes. I have quite a few, and many of the gifts I give people tend to be boxes. I have quite a few myself. The one pictured here is made of cast iron and shaped like an "ambi", which is a term for a baby mango in Hindi. That shape is commonly referred to as paisley in other parts of the world. The design on the lid is in sterling silver wire. This is a traditional Indian art form known as bidriwork. I have bidri work earrings as well. These articles are generally inexpensive, this box cost around $2CAD.



Just to get an idea of how tiny the box is:

2 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

i have difficulty commenting on this post, because boxes like this are the kind of thing that when i see them i think, "Cute!" and then... "now what?". I hate that I end up hoarding boxes or gift bags or little useless ornament type things with no purpose. i try to clear them out of my house regularly. that said, since this box is so cheap anyway, it's totally awesome to give as a gift with earings or whatever inside. cute!

6:26 PM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

i'm really bored of looking at this box everytime i load your page!

5:01 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home