Monday, April 04, 2005

I saw this on a blog that Brenda links to on her blog, liked it and so here it is. I have deleted a couple questions and added a couple too.

Before I begin I would like to say that I love to read. I limited myself to 5 answers for each question. It just makes more sense to stop at 5.

Which five fictional literary characters who would best embody you (in some aspect, either now or in the past), who would you choose?

Adrian Mole: In his words, an intellectual. In his mothers words, anal-retentive, tightfisted sod, so on and so on. I mean I think he is the perfect example of the wide chasm between what you think of yourself and what the world thinks of you.

Mersault: I often feel like him, but, unlike him, have learnt how to play the game.

Lata Mehra: Torn between what she thinks is best for her and what her mother thinks is best for her. Her overbearing mother wins out in her case; I am hoping my ending will be different.

Holden Caulfield: Angsty sensitive super priviledged young adult.

Bridget Jones: Permanently 10lbs overweight. Or as she would say, 10 stone overweight.

Which five books (any genre) have had the greatest influence on you?

The Stranger - Albert Camus

The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini

The Bhagavad Gita: Transcendental knowledge of the most profound spiritual nature as revealed in the Bhagavad- Gita. It is the divine discourse spoken by the Supreme Lord Krishna Himself and is the most popular and well known of all the sacred scriptures from ancient India. Always being revered as a true source of spiritual knowledge it reveals the purpose and goal of human existence.

A Fine Balance - Rohinton Mistry

The Chrysalids - John Wyndham

Favorite authors.

Sue Townsend

Albert Camus

Vikram Seth

Rohinton Mistry

Judy Blume

If you would ever burn a book (God forbid), which book would it be? Why?

Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri. I think its a sad day when something so pedestrian can win The Booker Prize. Lahiri manages to redeem herself just a little with her sophmore attempt, The Namesake. But yeah, Interpreter of Maladies is a total abomination.

Are you a monogamous reader, or do you like to read around?

I usually try and read things with literary merit. I will, however prostitute my literacy and read pulp on occasion, but my condition is that it has to be absolutely riveting. Case in point, anything written by Dan Brown.

Last one, and be honest: Do you skip ahead to the ending?

I don't, but if someone were to tell me the ending I wouldn't care. I'm that way about movies too, knowing the ending does not diminish my enjoyment of a book in any way.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home