Tuesday, August 28, 2007

We're adults now - when did this happen and how do we make it stop?

Im finding it very difficult to come to terms with this whole aging thing. I mean all my life I was always the youngest person everywhere. I skipped OAC, I never took time off academically, and everyone was always telling me how young I was. I was underage till after my first year of university was over. And now, Im just old.

The really sad part is I still feel the way I did when I was 18 - uncertain, too many options, unsure of how things were going to play out. The only real difference I find between being 18 and now is that I used to be a lot more hopeful at that age. I felt like I could do whatever I wanted. And now I wonder if we ever actually feel grown up. Growing up my dad always used to say to not think of him as a "biggie", and that he was really just like me. I am begininng to think he's right.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

i still feel like i'm 18, too. but i think when i was 18 i was a lot more worried about what i was doing, and now i just take things as they come. most of the time that means i'm happier, but in some respects it's because i'm just so jaded.

my friend sheila and i were talking about growing up the other day... and there's us, who are exactly the same as we were 5-10 years ago... and then there are they 'professional' types who wear suits and fancy clothes and nice makeup all the time and drive sweet cars and buy houses... and we're like how are YOU the same age as us? how did they grow up?

8:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

See but even the professional types - with the suits and the nice makeup etc etc, theyre kids too! I say this because Im a suit myself. My theory is that everybody feels the same way inside, but some of us deal with it better than others on the outside.

jr

10:27 AM  
Blogger Jennifer said...

you realize you just said that you are dealing with it better than me? lol

7:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No I didnt! I just said some people deal with growing up better than others. I didnt say suits deal with growing up better than others.

Growing up sucks. Seriously, kill me now.

8:19 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home